Our existing accommodation is insufficient for both our current and future needs as a growing church and we have been considering for some time how best to deal with the problem. In autumn 2017, we bought the former HSBC bank at 550 Beverley Road , which is adjacent to the Newland Christian Centre (NCC) and backs on to the grounds of St John's.
Since then there has been an intense period of planning. We have discussed with the various church group leaders and examined the building's potential. We have evolved plans, adjusting as we went to keep the estimated cost within a figure which we think is achievable.
The intention is to make the old bank and the Newland Christian Centre into an integrated and enlarged Centre.
This will meet our need for additional and flexible accommodation and facilities and provide a base for our expanding ministry in years to come.
Timetable of work
We finalised plans and went out to tender in May 2019. Local builders, Voase, have now been appointed as the main contractors. They will begin work on Monday 16 September and the conversion is expected to take about 15 weeks, making the likely completion in early January.
There will be additional, mostly cosmetic work (such as decorating, tting blinds and furnishings) to be undertaken afterwards, but we hope to begin using the expanded Newland Christian Centre early in the New Year.
Inevitably, the building work will affect our use of the NCC and we are looking at alternative accommodation for our activities during this time.
- We are looking to outside sources, but that is unlikely to provide sufficient monies.
- We may also have to consider short term loans until promised money comes in.
- Ultimately, the greater part of the funding will need to be raised from within our own church family at St John's and Riverside. It is a challenge that our growth lays upon us, together with securing a solid future for our ministry.
There are various ways to give to support the project and our Gift Day in July 2018 raised £160,000 towards the final total in the first week alone.
Do please continue to pray for the project.
For further information:
If you have any comments or suggestions, or for further information, please contact:
- (Chairman of the Building Co-ordinating Group)
- the ministers or
- other members of the Group (James Belham, John Emmerson, Tim Mitchell, Heather Payne, Geoff Waring, Viv Whitton and Beverley Wing).